Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

You may be able to receive money from the funds detailed below for things like transport, childcare, fees, equipment, lunch and trips.

The below information is for the academic year 2019/20. Information for the 2020/21 academic year will be published before the end of June. In the meantime, the below will give you a good idea of what may be available.

The College administers the following government funding:

  • Bursary Fund – for 16-18 year-olds
  • Learner Support Fund – for 19+ students
  • 19+ Advanced Learning Loans Bursary Fund – for students who have applied for a 19+ Loan
  • Residential Support Scheme

Am I eligible?

You must be classed as a permanent UK/EEA resident and be on a funded full-time or part-time course. These funds are not available to waged apprentices or HE students (there are other funds for Higher Education students, please contact Student Services for more information).

The funds are for students in low-income households and financial hardship, income thresholds determine how funds are allocated. If your household income is less than £25,000, you may be eligible. We can take individual circumstances into account, please contact us if your household income is over £25,000, but you are in financial hardship. We can only process your application if all sections are fully completed and evidence is provided. Incomplete or unevidenced applications will be returned to you.

A bursary of up to £1,200 may also be available if you are under 19 and are a young person in care, a care leaver, in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit or in receipt of Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments.

Residential Support Scheme

The Residential Support Scheme is designed to provide financial help with residential costs (e.g. rent) for eligible students living away from home because their full-time Level 2 or Level 3 qualification is not available locally. Students must have a household income of £30,993 or less in the previous tax year. For more information, please contact Student Services.


Childcare support is available to young parents and adults. If you are under 20, the Care to Learn scheme pays a maximum of £160 per child per week, supporting young parents to access education. Please contact Student Services for information. If you are 20+, the Learner Support Fund or Advanced Learning Loans Bursary Fund can support adults with childcare costs.

Guidance & application forms

We have recently trialled a new online application form for financial support. We have received feedback that the paper form was easier for people to complete, and thus have now switched to a paper form for 2019/20. If you have already completed an online form, this is fine – please continue to send through your evidence (if you have not already done so).

Please complete the Financial Application Form, and:

> Application Form (PDF)

> Financial Support Guidance (PDF)

Our Student Services Team is always available to support the completion of forms and answer any questions you may have:

T: 01539 814700